poshneighbour

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Total = 67 eggs
Marjorie - 1 egg
Penny - 1 egg

Well here goes, 1st attempt at writing a blog.


We live in the country, with a lurcher called Boris who is French,

a black moggie called Bert (he's not dead really),

a goldfish called Fat Frank (after Frank Lampard - my OH is a Chelsea fan) and 4 pekin bantams who live in an eglu called Dhylis, Penny, Marjorie and Sylvie.


Today has been pretty boring. I was up at 5.30am to let the chickens out. Dhylis, Penny and Marjorie, came out running, but there was no sign of Slyvie, so I opened the egg hatch and there she was nesting on top of the stone rabbit (put there to stop her getting broody - so obvisously not working). I gave up, and went back to bed!

We got up late - which was to be expected given that it is Sunday, and then took Boris our Lurcher for a walk down the mill. We saw a family of ducks, with some ducklings, and a couple of bunnies too. Only one other dog, a Red Setter today. We got back from the walk and let the chickens out in the garden, for a spot of free ranging. By this time, Marjorie wanted to lay an egg, but couldn't get into the nest box as Sylvie was still in there - so they squeezed in together. Sylvie was over the moon, an egg to sit on without the effort. She was speedily removed as was the egg, and the door closed - we need to get her over this broody pahse or it'll be no eggs for us.


The girls were out in the garden for the next 3 hours, Dhylis and Penny digging as usual, Marjorie and Sylvie eating grass.

I went outside to find Bert acting very oddly, to look down and see that he'd caught a baby mouse, which looked like it had a broken leg. I couldn't leave Bert to finish the job, so I locked him inside and then let the mouse crawl off. No sign of it 10 minutes later, so I think it's run off to die.

We watched the Spanish Grand Prix, Alonso won but it was a really boring race. I've just cleaned the girls out, first time for the run, which was interesting as I wasn't tall enough to get all of the bark out, especially down by the door. The eglu does look good with new bark - if a bit high off the ground now.

Then we took Boris out again, this time down the river, and we walked a nice long way. Boris swam a good proportion of it - on the lead of course as he can't be trusted! We saw 2 water rats swimming across the river, of which Boris saw one, he was straight in the water after it - if only his eye sight wasn't quite so good. We also saw a swan, which Boris was quite interested in, at least he had the sense not to chase it, as it was facing up to him making it's wings huge. I never realised quite how big a swans neck is, and as my OH would say "did you know a swan can break a mans arm with it's wing" - everytime we see a swan!

So that's it really a whole run down of what we've been up to - oh, of course I've forgotten to add the bit about the my OH fixing some bits of the website he's been building - this should of taken about an hour - 4 hours later and he's still doing it!

Maybe I should mention now - I was having trouble with the photos being added so asked the computer wizz to give me a hand. Needless to say - he's got bored as they were taking so long, so has left me too it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home