poshneighbour

Sunday, February 04, 2007

We've had an interesting day today. We drove to SE london to pick up a chicken, a laced Wyandotte. She had the name gussy, but we've changed that to Stella. She was being picked on by the 2 hybrids who she lived with, so much so that she has her own little house to stay in (a rabbit run). Sh'e been out in the garden all afternoon with our girls, and there has only been one little fight - so fingers crossed it will go ok. She's taken herself to bed in her own little house - so I'll move her in with my girls in about an hour when they should be all sleepy.

She was obvisously really happy as we even got an egg at 3pm this afternoon - I'm amazed as her last owners said they ahve never had an egg from her - and we have had one within an hour and a half of having her - if she carried on like she will be most welcome.

A photo of Stella with my girls. It still seems strange not having an orange hen - but I'm sure I'll get another one soon.

1 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Lucky you she looks beautiful. In answer to your question via email. Yes there were problems - but it was because the hybrid chickens are really fierce - so with pure breeds it should be less so.

Once they get the pecking order sorted it should be fine. Just make sure that none of them is deprived of food - that is the main issue - but again it was the hybrids, I had lots of feeding stations around the big pen I have and the garden - ditto water.

If they free range there is less trouble as they can keep out of each others way, it is if they are cooped up all together there might be a spot of bother - usually being pecked when one wants to come out of the eglu and vice versa at night.

As the new hen has been pecked before, she will probably settle in easily, and just be glad of the rest!

Because you don't have 'other' here in the comments, I can only put my old blogspot link in, but there is a link from there to my new website.

Great to see you blogging again and lovely to see all the photos

 

Post a Comment

<< Home